Boards of Health
Through a grant from the Healthcare Georgia Foundation, the Region IV Public Health Training Center has produced a set of 5 video trainings for Georgia’s board of health members. Video topics include: structure and function of public health; roles and responsibilities of board of health members; advancing policy and advocacy for community health; financing public health in Georgia; and, public health department accreditation.
STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION OF PUBLIC HEALTH
Structure and Function of Public Health: This training is an introduction to the Structure and Function of Public Health in Georgia. The topics covered include:
- the definition of public health;
- how the three core functions and ten essential services provide a framework for the public health system;
- the organizational and functional structure of the public health system at the federal level;
- the public health system in Georgia including organizational structure, leadership, and key programs;
- the authority and relationships between key public health entities in Georgia; and 6) how your local community can utilize public health resources to address health issues.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF BOARD OF HEALTH MEMBERS
Roles and Responsibilities of Board of Health Members: This training is an introduction to the Roles and Responsibilities of Board of Health Members. The topics covered include:
- who serves on the county board of health in Georgia;
- county board of health management and operations;
- primary functions of the county board of health; and
- the ethical obligations of board membership.
ADVANCING POLICY AND ADVOCACY FOR COMMUNITY HEALTH
Advancing Policy and Advocacy for Community Health: This training is an introduction to Advancing Policy and Advocacy for Community Health. The topics covered include:
- the role of the county board of health in working with the district health director on identifying the specific public health needs of the community;
- the role of the county board of health in suggesting programs and/or services to meet the health needs of the population they represent;
- the role of the county board of health in communicating with local decision makers to advocate for the support of public health’s essential services within the community; and
- the value of using evidence-based stories to advocate for public health community resources.
FINANCING PUBLIC HEALTH IN GEORGIA
Financing Public Health in Georgia: This training is an introduction to Financing Public Health in Georgia. The topics covered include:
- how local public health is funded in Georgia;
- the return on investment from funded public health programs; and
- the fiscal responsibilities of the county board of health members.
PUBLIC HEALTH DEPARTMENT ACCREDITATION
Public Health Department Accreditation: This training is an introduction to Public Health Department Accreditation. The topics covered include:
- an overview and goals of public health department accreditation;
- the value and cost of seeking accreditation;
- the seven steps of accreditation;
- the twelve accreditation domains, especially Domain 12 which focuses on the role of the governing entity;
- resources to evaluate a health department’s readiness to seek accreditation; and
- how the county board of health and other community stakeholders can support their health department in the accreditation process.