The opioid epidemic is one of the most pressing public health issues of our time. Opioid abuse – including misuse of prescription and street drugs – is a growing problem in communities across the U.S. It’s part of the reason that drug overdose has become the leading cause of death of Americans under 50. There is an urgent need for a coordinated, multisectoral response, with public health professionals playing a central role.
This is a listing of archived training materials and additional resources on the opioid epidemic.
SELECTED INDIVIDUAL TRAININGS
From the Region IV Public Health Training Center:
- A Community Initiative to Fight the Heroin and Opioid Epidemic
Webinar from the Alabama-Mississippi Public Health Training Center recorded on September 14, 2017.
- The CO*RE/ASAM ER/LA Opioid REMS: Achieving Safe Use While Improving Patient Care Course
Recording of a live presentation at the 3rd Annual Community Mental Health Summit in Alabama.
- HIV & Hepatitis C – A Public Health Emergency of Nationwide Concern: Kentucky & Indiana’s Local Response
Webinar from Commonwealth of Kentucky Public Health Training Center recorded on January 12, 2017.
- Overview of Opioid Misuse, Associated Harms and Public Health Responses in the U.S.
Webinar from the Region IV Public Health Training Center recorded on June 26, 2017.
From other organizations:
- Drug Use and Dignity: Exploring the Potential for Supervised Consumption Sites
Webinar from the Northwest Center for Public Health Practice recorded on May 23, 2017.
- Legal & Policy Approaches to Reducing Prescription Drug Overdose
Web-based course from ChangeLab Solutions released on April 25, 2016.
- The Opioid Epidemic: A National Emergency
Recording of Emory University Department of Medicine Grand Rounds on September 5, 2017.
- Pathways to Safer Opioid Use
Interactive simulation from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion.
- Primary Prevention and Public Health Strategies to Prevent Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
CDC Public Health Grand Rounds session recorded on August 16, 2016.
- Successful Models and Resources to Support Opioid Abuse Prevention and Treatment
Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Workforce Grand Rounds Webinar recorded on June 13, 2017.
- Applying CDC’s Guideline for Prescribing Opioids: An Online Training Series for Healthcare Providers
Online training series to help clinicians apply CDC’s opioid prescription recommendations.
- Michigan Public Health Training Center
Self-paced modules on Substance Use Disorders as a Public Health Issue; Medication Assisted Treatment: An Evidence-Based Treatment Option; and Holistic Treatment of Substance Use Disorders: MAT and Beyond.
- Providers’ Clinical Support System
National training and clinical mentoring project developed in response to the opioid use disorder crisis. Offers Medication Assisted Training for clinicians.
NATIONAL RESOURCES ABOUT THE OPIOID EPIDEMIC
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
CDC Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain
- National Association of Counties and the National League of Cities
A Prescription for Action: Local Leadership in Ending the Opioid Crisis
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
Opioid Overdose Prevention Toolkit
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
U.S. Department of Veterans’ Affairs